Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Come si dice "Rome is the best place on the planet"?

This morning I was hit by a car.

I had to be up early for a Permit to Stay meeting at the post office, and I walked over to Nina's apartment because she'd forgotten her insurance information. The street, like most Roman streets, was quite narrow, with cars parked on both sides and just enough room for cars to get through. So a car comes hurtling by, and after it passes I realize that the mirror actually hit my arm. It kind of hurt, but I'm perfectly fine; I don't even see a bruise.

After the permit meeting, we went to St. Peter's Basilica. I went into sensory overload about four seconds after we got into the main part of the church, after meandering through the pope's tombs. It's insane. Absolutely beautiful, of course, and I'll put up pictures soon - though I stopped taking them after a while because I felt I just couldn't do the place justice. We didn't go up to the top of the dome because our feet already hurt too much, so I'll definitely go back at least one more time.

It's been a great week. I'm adjusting pretty well and really enjoying myself. The beginning intensive Italian class is progressing at a good pace, although we haven't had much homework yet. My academic advising meeting is tomorrow, so I'll be figuring out exactly which other classes I'll take this semester.

Highlight of the week: probably going swimming in the Mediterranean. My host family took Jade and I to the beach. The waves, the salt, the stinging eyes: I love the ocean, and to me it was absolutely perfect (there was even SUN, which I don't usually associate with the beach!). I did get a pretty painful sunburn since apparently I missed a lot of my back when I was putting on sunscreen. But it was absolutely worth it, and I'd like to go back this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment